National Youth Leadership Council – Program Information
Photo by Emma Catherine
We are looking for young leaders aged between 16-24 who are ready to lead a movement of young people creating a better world for people, animals and the environment.
What is the NYLC?
Our Roots & Shoots National Youth Leadership Council (NYLC) is made up of a passionate group of young people from around Australia who are dedicated to making positive change happen for animals, people and the environment. Members of the NYLC are the youth voice of R&S Australia and work hard to share Dr Jane’s message and support the organization’s success.
NYLC members are provided with fun and comprehensive training and opportunities to mentor Roots & Shoots members and represent Roots & Shoots at events. Members gain access to influential leaders and networks that will help them grow their leadership capabilities.
Why join the NYLC?
- Professional development, engagement training and work experience
- Represent the voice of Australia’s youth
- Opportunity to be a key leader in the cause that YOU are passionate about
- Networking opportunities
- Create new connections and global friendships
2018 Youth Leaders Statements
“The highlight for me was being able to network with heaps of inspiring young people and share my passions with a large audience all over the country”
“I loved being involved in the community in a way I would not otherwise have had access to”
“I think the program is altogether run very well and gives us the ability to act on the issues we are passionate about”
What personal commitments does the role include?
- Serve a full one-year term on Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots Australia’s NYLC
- Be an active participant in online meetings
- Chat with my mentor about any questions relating to NYLC / Roots & Shoots
- Respond to communications at least every 2 days
- Participate in online training events such as webinars or courses
- Visit schools and work with children on Roots & Shoots activities
- Get involved in projects such as campaigns, newsletters, creating training materials & social media
- Work with my State Coordinator to organise and volunteer at state events
- Meet new people, develop new skills and have fun!
Applications for our NYLC program for 2019/2020 have now closed. Thank you to all our applicants. We are currently reviewing applications and we aim to respond to all applicants as soon as possible during the following weeks. In the meantime, we recommend that you learn more about Roots & Shoots Australia and the Jane Goodall Institute Australia by visiting our websites and following us on social media!