Founded in 1991 by Dr. Jane Goodall, Jane Goodall’s Roots & Shoots is a youth service program for young people of all ages. Our mission is to foster respect and compassion for all living things, to promote understanding of all cultures and beliefs, and to inspire each individual to take action to make the world a better place for people, other animals, and the environment.
Roots & Shoots is a global network of young people taking action to improve our world. It is a youth-led action program that is currently making a difference in over 50 countries. It builds on Dr. Jane’s legacy and vision of placing the power and responsibility for creating solutions to big challenges in the hands of the young people. All around the world today, youth are exploring problems in their communities around animals, people and the environment, brainstorming solutions and creating projects that help to solve the problems. Roots & Shoots is a program that is different for each and every member around the world. For instance, a project that works for inner city kids in Australia is going to differ enormously from a project in remote towns in Uganda.
Why Join Roots & Shoots?
1. WE ARE AT 50 COUNTRIES AND COUNTING..AND WE NEED YOU TO HELP US GROW!
Roots & Shoots began in 1991 with a group of 12 students in Tanzania who were concerned about their environment. Since then, we have grown to over 70,000 members in 50 countries!
2. YOU GET TO ADDRESS REAL ISSUES IN YOUR COMMUNITY
Roots & Shoots groups carry out locally and globally-based service projects in a variety of places all over the world. These groups get to address the issues that they think are relevant in their community. As long as it involves the human community, the animal community, or the environment, it can be a Roots & Shoots project!
3. OUR YOUTH BLOSSOM INTO LEADERS LIKE JANE GOODALL
Roots & Shoots is Dr. Jane’s youth-focused organization. She travels around the world meeting with different groups and sometimes attending their annual leadership conferences. If you grew up aspiring to be Jane Goodall, Roots & Shoots is a great place to start!
4. YOU HAVE THE OPPORTUNITY TO GET YOUR HANDS DIRTY (or not, if that's not your thing)
Roots & Shoots projects have included everything from tree planting, beekeeping, and habitat beautification, to fairs and festivals, education, and community events. There’s something at Roots & Shoots for everyone.
5. FRIENDS WITH A JOINT PURPOSE ARE THE BEST KIND
Joining a Roots & Shoots group is a great way to meet people in your community that care about the same things you do. You also become part of an international community of youth that want to make a difference - and you strengthen the human population without even trying!
6. WE HAVE THE TOOLS TO TEACH YOU HOW TO LEAD AN AWESOME ROOTS & SHOOTS GROUP
If you’re a teacher, parent, community leader, or even a student, you have the opportunity to be an effective Roots & Shoots leader in your community with our resources. We have developed a new resource kit which you can download here. We have also got 15 primary-aged curriculum-linked lesson plans to support R & S in the classroom. Visit www.coolaustralia.org and type Roots and Shoots into the search bar to download the lessons for free.
By signing up to Roots & Shoots, you will receive the following:
- A Roots & Shoots resource kit to help kick start your projects and answer all your questions
- Inspiration and skills to have a positive impact on animals, people and the environment
- Eligibility to apply for a mini grant to fund your Roots & Shoots project
- Updates and news about Roots & Shoots and Jane Goodall Institute Australia
- Opportunities to connect with like-minded people
- Access to educational resources for your school
- Invites to events
- Connect with organisations and leaders in causes you’re interested in
- Support of state coordinators and local youth leaders